At least five PhD positions at the Department of Theology
Sort on published: 2017-12-04
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively with society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has 42,000 students, 7,000 employees and a turnover of SEK 6.7 billion.
The Faculty of Theology is one of nine faculties at Uppsala University. As researchers we use the same research methods as our colleagues in the Humanities and Social Sciences. The Faculty is not linked to any faith community, and the religious affiliation of students, research students, lecturers or other staff is of no relevance to the Faculty.
The Faculty of Theology is the oldest faculty at Uppsala University and the Department of Theology covers all areas of religious studies. The Department of Theology is the largest institution for education and research in Theology and Religious Studies in Sweden, and offers a creative environment for pursuing research or a degree.
Uppsala University hereby invites applications to at least five PhD positions.
Starting date: 1st of September 2018. Applications can be made for studies in the following disciplines:
History of Religions
Sociology of Religion
Psychology of Religion
Old Testament Exegesis
New Testament Exegesis
World Christianity and Interreligious Studies
Systematic Theology and Studies in World Views
Philosophy of Religion
The holder of a PhD position shall, foremost, be devoted to his or her own postgraduate study and research. Other duties at the Department which relate to teaching and administrative work may be included within the scope of the employment (to a maximum of 20 %). A requirement for employment as doctoral student is that the applicant must be admitted to postgraduate studies. To this extent, the applicant’s ability to successfully complete the doctoral studies will be decisive. Regulations governing University admissions are found (in Swedish) in Högskoleförordningen, chapter 7 §§ 34-36 and chapter 5 §§ 1-7. Information on admissions requirements, application forms etc. can be found on the website of the Faculty of Theology: www.teolfak.uu.se.
Applications shall include:
- Official transcripts of academic results in English or Swedish from university studies, including any graduate studies which prove that the candidate meets both general and particular qualification requirements for studies at research level at the Faculty of Theology. In relevant cases a copy of the candidate’s degree certificate in English or Swedish should also be included,
- A research proposal of 6 pages (if needed one more page for references can be added) with the following headings: aim, questions, method, theoretical framework, the relation of the study to earlier research and material for the future thesis. All headings should be included, but not necessarily in this order.
- Completed application form for Application for admission to third-cycle (postgraduate) studies,
- Suggestion for financial plan for studies at research level – see detailed information attached to the form “financial plan”,
- Master’s Thesis.
- Note about who you have approached and asked to become your supervisor.
- A research project might be associated with risks that could affect the feasibility of the project, especially concerning assessing material or data. Therefore, the applicants should attach an assessment of the feasibility of the project considering possible risks with the suggested material. For high risk project suggestions of alternative material should be added.
Applications without any of the above mentioned documents and completed application form for admission to third-cycle studies will not be considered. To write the application, both the application form “Admission to third-cycle (postgraduate) studies” and general syllabus for the discipline concerned are needed. By using the later you should check that you fulfil both general and particular entrance requirements for studies at research level in the discipline. Make contact well in advance with a lecturer/ professor at the faculty who is willing to function as a supervisor if you should be accepted. Applications which make no mention of a contacted supervisor will not be considered. As you compile your application you may have use of the faculty’s guidelines regarding the application process for studies at research level. Instructions for application and forms concerning financial plan and application for admission to third-cycle studies are found on the following web-site: http://www.teolfak.uu.se/research/phd-studies/
Uppsala University strives to be an inclusive workplace that promotes equal opportunities and attracts qualified candidates who can contribute to the University’s excellence and diversity. We welcome applications from all sections of the community and from people of all backgrounds
Salary: According to local agreement for PhD students and teaching assistants.
Starting date: 1st of September 2018.
Working hours: 100 %
For further information about the position please contact
Director of Studies Mohammad Fazlhashemi, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +46 18-471 22 27.
You are welcome to submit your application no later than 4th of February 2018, UFV-PA 2017/4544.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? If so, you will find much information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus. You are also welcome to contact the International Faculty and Staff Services at email@example.com.
We decline offers of recruitment and advertising help. We only accept the application the way described in the advertisement.
Placement: Department of Theology
Type of employment: Full time , Permanent position
Pay: Fixed salary
Number of positions: 5
Working hours: 100%
County: Uppsala län
Ellena Papaioannou, Seko
Per Sundman, Saco-rådet 018-471 1485
Suzanne Borén Andersson, TCO/ST 018-471 6251
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2017/4544
Last application date: 2018-02-05