Master’s studies

Financial Matters

All students, regardless of whether or not they are required to pay application and tuition fees, must be able to cover their personal living expenses while in Sweden. To obtain a Swedish residence permit, students are required to have a minimum of SEK 8190 per month for the duration of their studies. If you intend to study for a year or more, you must be able to support yourself for at least 10 months of the year. When you apply for your residence permit, you must enclose a bank statement showing that you have your own bank funds available in an account belonging to you. Please note, living in Sweden can be costly, and SEK 8190 per month is the absolute minimum amount of money that
you will require.

It is important to remember that the cost of living will vary from person to person, depending on their lifestyle. Aside from rent and food, students will have expenses such as text books, transportation and socialising. If you come from a part of the world with a warmer climate, it is strongly recommended that you purchase winter clothing and shoes
while you are in Sweden. Students may also wish to make the most of their location by travelling to other parts of Sweden and Europe during the university holidays.

For more information, please visit the Swedish Migration Agency, Migrationsverket.

Work Opportunities

Please do not depend on working to support yourself during your time as a student in Sweden. Due to the large number of students in Uppsala, it is very difficult to find available part-time jobs. Many employers require Swedish language skills, and depending on your university workload, it may be difficult for you to commit to work outside of studies. Some international students find employment at the pubs, clubs and restaurants at the student nations. However, while working at the nations is enjoyable and a great way to make new friends, the amount of money you earn will not be enough for you to live on.

For more information about the job market, visit the Swedish Public Employment Services.

Swedish Student Aid

The most common way for Swedish students to finance their studies is through a study allowance called CSN. If you are not a Swedish citizen, but have been granted residency in Sweden for a purpose other than studies, you may be eligible to receive CSN. You must be officially registered as a resident in Sweden and intend to remain in the country even after completing your studies. All other students are expected to finance their studies themselves.

To read more about the Swedish student aid, please visit CSN's website.

US student finance

UK student finance