The student unions are created and driven by students, for students. The main goal of the unions is to ensure the interests of Uppsala University students are always prioritised and protected. They deal with issues concerning education, health and welfare, equality, internationalisation, housing and economy.
Representatives for the unions are active in several decision making bodies at the university, and work to improve the rights and conditions of students. Working for the Uppsala Student Union is an international officer, a student and PhD student ombudsman. The unions always act in the best interest of its members, and can even take on the role of mediator when conflict arises between the university and a student. If you require assistance, or feel as though you have been mistreated, the unions are there to help.
The unions also play a very important social role on campus. Amongst other things, they help to organise the orientation programme that welcomes all new students to Uppsala University.
Uppsala University has six student unions:
- Uppsala Student Union (Uppsala studentkår)
- Uppsala Union of Engineering and Science Students (Uppsala teknolog- och naturvetarkår)
- Pharmaceutical Student Association (Farmacevtiska Studentkåren)
- Uppsala Business & Economics Students Association (Uppsalaekonomerna)
- Law students’ Association in Uppsala (Juridiska föreningen i Uppsala)
- Rindi, Gotland’s Student Union