Advice about sleep
Some general advice about sleep that can be helpful if you are having trouble sleeping:
- Go to bed when you are sleepy and feel the need to sleep (just being tired does not mean that you are also sleepy).
- Relax and unwind an hour before bedtime. Try doing something that you find relaxing, such as reading a book or listening to music, until you start feeling sleepy; then go to bed.
- Buy an old fashioned alarm clock and leave your cell phone outside your bedroom.
- If you are worried or start thinking negatively when you go to bed, have a notebook beside your bed and write down your thoughts.
- If you lie awake in bed for more than 15-30 minutes, then get up and wait until you are sleepy again.
- Do not do anything else in bed apart from sleeping and having sex.
- Try to go to bed and get up at the same time every day, at the weekends as well as during the week.
- Avoid taking naps. Although it may be tempting, it will be more difficult for you to fall asleep at night instead.
- Try to spend some time outdoors everyday.
Other helpful tips
- Dim the lights in the evening.
- Don't go to sleep hungry or too full.
- Exercise during the day, but not too late in the evening. Leave time to unwind before going to sleep.
- Avoid coffee, tea and soft drinks after midday (however, it varies from person to person depending on how we are affected by caffeine).
- Alcohol results in a low quality of sleep and you may wake up much earlier than usual after drinking.
- Nicotine can have a negative effect on sleep.
- Different relaxation techniques can help you to unwind.