Up to five PhD positions in Political Science
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively with society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has 44.000 students, 7.100 employees and a turnover of SEK 7 billion.
The Department of Government at Uppsala university provides a vibrant and internationally successful research environment. With approximately 60 faculty members and 30 PhD-students, we are recognized as one of the leading political science departments in the Nordic region.
Duties: Employed doctoral students must primarily devote their time to their own doctoral research. Other departmental duties may also be included in the position, such as, teaching or administrative tasks, but no more than 20%. The employment will be extended for a period corresponding to the time spent on departmental work.
Qualification requirements: General eligibility is possessed by anyone who has obtained a degree at advanced level, fulfilled course requirements for at least 240 ECTS points, of which at least 60 ECTS points at advanced level, or otherwise acquired equivalent knowledge in Sweden or abroad.
For special eligibility for admission to graduate studies in political science the applicant is required to have satisfactory results on courses carrying 90 ECTS points in political science. Special eligibility is also possessed by anyone who has otherwise acquired equivalent knowledge in Sweden or abroad.
TA requirement for employment as a doctoral student is that the applicant must have been admitted to doctoral studies. Employment of doctoral students and admittance to doctoral studies are regulated in the Higher Education Ordinance, and in regulations issued by Uppsala University http://regler.uu.se/.
The qualification requirements must be met by the deadline for applications.
One or more students admitted to the PhD-program at the Department of Government will be employed by the Institute for Housing and Urban Research. These PhD projects will be designed in collaboration with supervisors as independent political science project in connection to research conducted at the institute (www.ibf.uu.se). You may enter information in the cover letter if you are especially interested in these positions.
How to apply: The application should contain the following (more detailed info provided at the link below):
- A cover letter. The letter should 1) contain a brief statement of intent (max 500 words), i.e. the applicant’s motives for applying. 2) Give a brief description of the documents submitted, please list them. 3) Indicate which piece of submitted academic work the applicant wants the committee to prioritize.
- A maximum of two examples of the applicant’s research production (thesis, articles, reports or other texts of high scientific standard etc.). At least one of the submitted texts must have the applicant as its sole author. If a co-authored text is supplied, the applicant’s contribution must be described in an accompanying statement signed by all co-authors.
- A reflection on the applicant’s prior research where he/she discusses its main strengths and weaknesses, theoretical and methodological challenges and choices, and the societal relevance of the work. (max. 1000 words)
- Certified transcripts of academic records (to demonstrate qualification for admission).
- Certification of competence in Swedish and/or English (not necessary for applicants that submit academic work in Swedish or English on which the applicant is sole author or applicants that have a degree from a Swedish university.
Uppsala University strives to be an inclusive workplace that promotes equal opportunities and attracts qualified candidates who can contribute to the University’s excellence and diversity. We welcome applications from all sections of the community and from people of all backgrounds.
Salary: According to local agreement for PhD students and teaching assistants.
Starting date: 01-09-2020
Type of employment: Temporary position ending 31-08-2024 according to the Higher Education Ordinance chapter 5 § 7.
Scope of employment: 100 %
Read more about the PhD Programme at the Department of Government and how to apply here
For further information please contact: The Director of the PhD program PerOla Öberg, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are welcome to submit your application no later than February 5, 2020. Your complete application must be received by 23:59 (Swedish time). UFV-PA 2019/4244.
You will find a lot of information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus. You are also welcome to contact International Faculty and Staff Services at email@example.com.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University´s recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Government
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fixed salary
Number of positions: 3
Working hours: 100 %
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2019/4244
Last application date: 2020-02-05
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.