At least five PhD positions at the Department of Theology
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively with society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has 44.000 students, 7.100 employees and a turnover of SEK 7 billion.
The Faculty of Theology is one of nine faculties at Uppsala University. As researchers we use the same research methods as our colleagues in the Humanities and Social Sciences. The Faculty is not linked to any faith community, and the religious affiliation of students, research students, lecturers or other staff is of no relevance to the Faculty. The Faculty of Theology is the oldest faculty at Uppsala University and the Department of Theology covers all areas of religious studies. The Department of Theology is the largest institution for education and research in Theology and Religious Studies in Sweden, and offers a creative environment for pursuing research or a degree.
Uppsala University hereby invites applications to at least five PhD positions. Starting date: 1st of September 2020.
Applications can be made for studies in the following disciplines:
- History of Religions
- Sociology of Religion
- Psychology of Religion
- Old Testament Exegesis
- New Testament Exegesis
- Church History
- World Christianity and Interreligious Studies
- Systematic Theology and Studies in World Views
- Philosophy of Religion
The disciplines listed above can also be applied to with a specialization in Islamic theology and philosophy.
The holder of a PhD position shall, foremost, be devoted to his or her own postgraduate study and research. Other duties at the Department which relate to teaching and administrative work may be included within the scope of the employment (to a maximum of 20 %). A requirement for employment as doctoral student is that the applicant must be admitted to postgraduate studies. To this extent, the applicant’s ability to successfully complete the doctoral studies will be decisive. Regulations governing University admissions are found (in Swedish) in Högskoleförordningen, chapter 7 §§ 34-36 and chapter 5 §§ 1-7. Information on admissions requirements, application forms etc. can be found on the website of the Faculty of Theology
Applications shall include:
- Completed form, Application for admission to third-cycle (postgraduate) studies.
- Completed form, Financial plan for studies at research level at the Faculty of Theology.
- Official transcripts of record in English or Swedish from university studies, including any graduate studies which prove that the applicants meet both general and particular qualification requirements for studies at research level at the Faculty of Theology. In relevant cases a copy of degree certificates in English or Swedish should also be included.
- A research proposal of 6 pages (if needed one more page for references can be added) with the following headings: aim, questions, method, theoretical framework, the relation of the proposed study to earlier research and material for the future thesis, a note on whom at the Faculty of Theology the applicants have approached and requested to become their supervisor. All headings should be included, but not necessarily in this order.
- Master’s Thesis.
- A research project might be associated with risks that could affect the feasibility of the project, especially concerning assessing material or data. Therefore, the applicants should attach an assessment of the feasibility of the project considering possible risks with the suggested material. For high risk projects, suggestions of alternative material should be added.
Applications without any of the above mentioned documents and completed application form for admission to third-cycle studies will not be considered. To write the application, both the application form “Admission to third-cycle (postgraduate) studies” and general syllabus for the discipline concerned are needed. By using the later you should check that you fulfil both general and particular entrance requirements for studies at research level in the discipline. Make contact well in advance with a lecturer/professor at the faculty of Theology who is willing to function as a supervisor if you should be accepted.
Applications which make no mention of a contacted supervisor will not be considered. As you compile your application you may have use of the faculty’s guidelines regarding the application process for studies at research level. Instructions for application and forms concerning financial plan and application for admission to third-cycle studies are found on the web-site.
Full funding is offered for a maximum of four years, either as a salaried PhD candidate or as a combination of an initial study grant (three years) corresponding to the net salary of a salaried PhD candidate position, followed by a salaried PhD candidate position for the final year.
A prerequisite for this is that you need to live in Sweden with a residence permit.
All PhD candidates are an important part of our research environment. At the Department of Theology, we value collegial participation and presence in the workplace. To us, regular attendance means at least three days per week.
Uppsala University strives to be an inclusive workplace that promotes equal opportunities and attracts qualified candidates who can contribute to the University’s excellence and diversity. We welcome applications from all sections of the community and from people of all backgrounds.
Salary: According to local agreement for PhD students.
Starting date: 1st of September 2020.
Scope of employment: 100 %
For further information about the position please contact: Director of Studies Mohammad Fazlhashemi, e-mail email@example.com, phone +4618-471 22 27.
Please submit your application by 4th of February 2020, UFV-PA 2019/4360.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? If so, you will find much information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus. You are also welcome to contact the International Faculty and Staff Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University´s recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Theology
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fixed salary
Number of positions: 5
Working hours: 100 %
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2019/4360
Last application date: 2020-02-04
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.