CTO (Chief Technical Officer) at NBIS
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively with society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has 44.000 students, 7.100 employees and a turnover of SEK 7 billion.
The department of Cell and Molecular Biology (ICM) is one of the most internationally diverse, scientifically broad, and eminent departments of biomolecular sciences in Europe. The research at ICM is divided into six main areas, covering everything from cell biology to molecular biophysics. You will be employed by ICM and you will at the same time be tied to the National Bioinformatics Infrastructure Sweden (NBIS) and Science for Life Laboratory (SciLifeLab).
SciLifeLab is a national centre for molecular biosciences focusing on health and environmental research. The centre combines leading expertise with advanced knowledge in translational medicine and molecular biosciences. The goal of SciLifeLab also includes building a strong research community around itself through education and collaboration. SciLifeLab is a national resource run by Karolinska Institutet (KI), Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan (KTH), Stockholm University and Uppsala University. SciLifeLab was founded in 2010 and currently has more than 400 employees at the various facilities and about 150 research groups. See http://www.scilifelab.se/ for further information.
NBIS is a distributed national research infrastructure providing bioinformatics support and infrastructure to Life Science researchers. There are ~90 NBIS experts distributed around the country with expertise in DNA, RNA and protein analysis, systems biology, genome analysis, mass spectroscopy proteomics, and metabolomics. NBIS also has experts in systems development and data management. NBIS is the Swedish node in the European infrastructure ELIXIR for biological data. More information about NBIS may be found at https://nbis.se/
We are now looking for a chief technical officer (CTO) with responsibility for the technical infrastructure within NBIS.
- Plan and be responsible for the technical strategy of NBIS and our IT infrastructure.
- Lead NBIS staff working with our IT infrastructure.
- Impel and refine the technical vision and our strategy regarding how we continuously develop the entire NBIS based upon our users’ needs.
- Cooperate with systems developers in technical (IT) matters.
- Cooperate with the NBIS section for Compute & Storage.
- Keep contacts with collaborators and sub-contractors of IT services.
- Serve as technical coordinator for the Swedish ELIXIR node (ELIXIR-SE).
- Participate in international collaborations.
- Be part of the NBIS management group.
- The applicant shall have a civil engineer or master degree within an area relevant for NBIS, e.g. bioinformatics, biomedicine.
- Experience from project management and system management.
- Emphasis will be put on personal suitability. The applicant shall have good interpersonal and communication skills, and be self-motivated. You should be service minded and able to adapt. You should also be quality conscious and result oriented.
- You should be able to communicate in English in both speech and writing.
- Ph D exam in an area relevant for NBIS, e.g. bioinformatics, biomedicine.
- Experience from bioinformatics, life sciences or related scientific area.
- Experience from research infrastructures.
- Experience from international research and/or infrastructure projects.
- Experience from work in an agile development organisation.
- Communication skills in Swedish.
Uppsala university values the advantages that a good gender balance and diversity of the workforce brings to the organisation. We therefore welcome applicants of all genders, and with different backgrounds and life experiences.
Salary: Individual salary.
Starting date: As soon as possible or as otherwise agreed.
Type of employment: Permanent position, probationary period may be applied.
Scope of employment: 100%
For further information about the position please contact: Bengt Persson, +46 704 250 230, mail to:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application by 17 January 2020, UFV-PA 2019/4352.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? If so, you will find a lot of information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus. You are also welcome to contact International Faculty and Staff Services at email@example.com.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University´s recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Cell and Molecular Biology
Type of employment: Full time , Permanent position
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100 %
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2019/4352
Last application date: 2020-01-17
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.