Assistant Professor in Computer Networking with Specialisation in Machine Learning for Networked Systems
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
The Department of Information Technology has approximately 350 employees and 4000 students per year and provides education and research of the highest international quality in Computer Science and its sub-disciplines. The strong focus on research impacts and provides an excellent foundation for undergraduate education at the department. The department also hosts several interdisciplinary research groups, and the department supports initiatives in the areas of equal opportunities and equality. Research is organized in five divisions. For more information, see www.it.uu.se.
The Division of Computer Systems research includes modeling, design, and analysis of new computer architectures, new methods in computer communication, and new techniques in embedded systems. In all those areas, the division has produced groundbreaking theoretical and applied results. The assistant professor will be placed with the research groups that work on computer networking with a current focus on reliable and secure low-power networking for the Internet of Things.
Description of subject area of the employment: Networked systems enable interaction among objects ranging from tiny sensors and actuators to quadrocopters or datacenters. The focus of this position is on research to improve the performance of networked systems such as low-power wireless and Internet of Things systems in terms of energy consumption, throughput, delay, mobility, sensing and security using modern methods from artificial intelligence or machine learning. Of particular interest is systems-oriented research including the design of (embedded software) prototypes and their evaluation as well as the design of novel machine learning architectures for resource-constrained networked systems.
- Teaching, research and administration. Teaching duties include course responsibility and course administration and supervision of second- and third-cycle students.
- The assistant professor is expected to contribute to teaching and course development in the areas of, for example, networking and Internet of Things, artificial intelligence and machine learning in both basic and advanced courses.
- Follow developments within the subject area and the development of society in general that is important for the work at the university.
- The primary role of the assistant professor will be to extent the ongoing networked systems research at the Communication Research (CORE) and Uppsala Networked Objects (UNO) groups to improve network performance with approaches from artificial intelligence and machine learning, which includes participation in the groups’ existing projects, applying for funding, supervising or co-supervising PhD students and researchers, and also expanding the groups’ research, teaching and public engagement activities.
- Additionally, to create and contribute to collaborations within the Department and with other departments at Uppsala University.
Appointment Period: The position can be held for a maximum of six years. An Assistant Professor can apply for promotion to Associate Professor. If the Assistant Professor is deemed suitable and fulfills the criteria for promotion established by the Faculty Board he/she shall be promoted to and employed as Associate Professor.
- PhD or have the corresponding research competence or some other professional expertise in computer networking with specialisation in machine learning for networked systems. Applicants who have obtained a PhD degree or achieved the equivalent competence in five years or less prior to the end of the application period will be given priority.
- Research Expertise and Teaching Expertise. It is necessary that the pedagogical skills, the research expertise and the professional skills are relevant to the content of the employment and the tasks that will be included in the employment.
- Applicants should have completed teacher training of relevance to operations at the University, comprising five weeks, or have acquired the equivalent knowledge. If special circumstances apply, this training for teachers in higher education may be completed during the first two years of employment.
- Documented ability to teach in Swedish or English is a requirement unless special reasons prevail. The holder is expected to be able to teach in Swedish within two years.
- Personal capabilities necessary to carry out fully the duties of the appointment.
Assessment Criteria/Ranking of applicants that fulfil the above-mentioned qualifications required
The ranking of eligible applicants will be based primarily on research and teaching expertise, of which weight will be primarily given to research expertise.
Research Expertise comprises research merits as well as the applicant's potential to contribute to the future development of both research and teaching. In assessing research expertise research quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of research, primarily in regard to depth and breadth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing research expertise special weight will be attached to research merits in computer networking where modern machine learning methods have been applied to improve the performance in experimental systems, prototypes, and proof-of-concept real-world deployments. A large weight is given to the application of such methods in low-power wireless systems. Weight is also given to the design of novel machine learning architectures for resource-constrained systems.
Teaching Expertise comprises educational and teaching qualifications. In assessing teaching expertise teaching quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of teaching experience, in terms of both breadth and depth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing teaching expertise special weight will be attached to merits in teaching courses in networking, and/or artificial intelligence and machine learning.
All merits must be documented in a manner that makes it possible to assess both quality and scope.
In filling this position the university aims to appoint the applicant who, following a qualitative holistic assessment of her/his competence and expertise, is judged to have the best potential to carry out and develop the relevant duties and to help advance operations.
In an overall assessment of the applicant’s qualifications, parental leave, part-time work relating to care of children, union assignments, military service, or the like are to be regarded as work experience.
Salary: Individually negotiated salary.
Starting date: As soon as possible or otherwise agreed.
Type of employment: Temporary position six years.
Scope of employment: 100 %.
Please submit your application by June 6, 2021, UFV-PA 2021/1050.
In the event of any disagreement between the English and the Swedish versions of this announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
If you are an international candidate, you will find a lot of information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Information Technology
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fixed salary
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100 %
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2021/1050
Last application date: 2021-06-06
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.