Exchange application

So you have decided that you want to come to Uppsala University for exchange, and have been nominated by your home university. Congratulations!

Students must be nominated by their home University in order to continue with the application. Uppsala University will not accept applications directly from students and without endorsement from the home university. Are you unsure about anything? Contact your coordinator at your home university, or at Uppsala University's Division for Internationalisation.

Application Forms

It is important that you know if your University has a University-Wide Exchange Agreement -or - a Departmental Agreement. Your home University coordinator should know which one is relevant for you and which form you should be using.

Departmental agreements

Most departments at Uppsala University are now using an online form via MoveON. Either the link to the application will be provided by your home university coordinator, or sent to you by the Uppsala contact after you have been nominated. Your home university coordinator should be able to provide you more information about the procedure in your specific case.

A few departments at Uppsala University use the following form: Departmental Exchange Application Form - please ensure that your specific department does not have its own application forms before filling out the form above.

The checklist and instructions are included on the first page of the application form. You can then sign the application and give it to your coordinator at your home department or your home university's international office to be signed and sent to Uppsala.

Nominations must not be sent directly to Uppsala University's Institutional Erasmus+ Coordinator. Please ensure that your nomination and application is sent to the specific departmental coordinator for the exchange agreement.

Departmental exchange students may have different deadlines other than 15 April for the fall intake/15 October for the spring intake. Please check with your departmental coordinator to find out which deadlines are relevant for your Exchange and what form to use.

University-wide agreements

The Division for Internationalisation at Uppsala University administers the University-Wide agreements. Most of these agreements are outside of EU in North America, Australia, Asia and more but some are within the EU and are also administered centrally through Erasmus+ and Nordplus (Nordlys only). The online application is available only from your home university coordinator. Our office must receive your online application no later than the following dates:

  • 15 April for the autumn semester intake (if you are applying for any Business course modules, you must apply before 1 April)
  • 15 October for the spring semester intake (if you are applying for any Business course modules, you must apply before 1 October)

What happens after submitting an application?

After your contact person at Uppsala University has received and reviewed your application, it will then be evaluated and processed for admissions notification. Your transcript of results and course proposal will be sent to the various departments involved. They can determine if you have the academic prerequisites to study the subjects you have chosen. They also determine if there is a place available in the course for you (some courses have restrictions on the number of places available). When your contact person can see that you meet the prerequisites for your chosen course of studies, they will issue your acceptance letter. This evaluation process will be completed before mid-June. If you have not received any reply by then you should notify your home university.

Please note, some courses have very specific academic prerequisites. Simply because you would be able to take a similar course at your home university does not mean that you meet the academic prerequisites to take that course at Uppsala University. Take note of any academic prerequisites, see if you have what is required, and if you have questions get in touch with your contact person at Uppsala University.

Visa and residence permits to Sweden

After you have received your Admissions letter, EU/EES citizens must have a valid medical insurance. Remember that the European Health Care Card can only be obtained from your land of permanent residence - you cannot organise this after your arrival in Sweden.

Some students may have dual citizenship, including citizenship of an EU country and outside of EU. If you are not a permanent resident in the EU it may be difficult or impossible for you to acquire an EU Health Care card. Students in this situation are advised to apply for a residence permit (or visa, depending on the citizenship) via their non-EU country. For example, a student with both Australian and Irish citizenship, who is a permanent resident of Australia, should apply for a residence permit as an Australian citizen, and not attempt to register their right of residence as an Irish citizen.

All other Citizenships outside the EU/EES will need to apply for a Residence permit and for some citizenships also a Visa for entry into Sweden with the Swedish Migration Agency. To apply for a residence permit/visa you will need your Admission Letter and amongst other things, proof that you can support yourself financially for your stay in Sweden. It is important that this money is in a bank account in your own name (no joint-accounts). Guarantees from parents or relatives will not be accepted by the Swedish Migration Agency. See the Swedish Migration Agency's homepage (new window) for more information about residence permits and visas.

Last modified: 2021-04-07