Leaving Sweden

If you plan on leaving Sweden after your studies at Uppsala University are complete, there are several things to keep in mind. Most importantly, you must notify the Swedish Tax Agency, Skatteverket, if you will be leaving Sweden for a period of one year or more. This must be done at least one week before your departure. You notify the Swedish Tax Agency by completing the form Notification, Moving Abroad (SKV 7665b) that can be downloaded from the Swedish Tax Agency's website. Please provide as much information as possible to aide in the handling of your errand. Once this form has been received, you will be removed from the Swedish population register.

If you move to another Nordic country

If you are moving from Sweden to another Nordic country, that is, Denmark, Finland, Iceland or Norway, then you must notify the relevant authorities in that country of your relocation, as well as the Swedish Tax Agency. You will be removed from the Swedish population register once you have been entered into the population register of the other Nordic country. There is an agreement amongst the Nordic countries that ensures those moving within the Nordic countries are registered in the population register of only one country at a time, and prevents movers from not being included in any Nordic population register. The local registration authorities of the country of destination decide on the prerequisites of registration.

When will you stop being registered in Sweden?

If you give the Swedish Tax Agency the required notice (at least one week before your departure) then you will cease being registered in Sweden from the day you leave the country. If you notify the Swedish Tax Agency at a later date, you will cease to be registered in Sweden as of the day your notification was received.

If you return to Sweden in the future

If you move back to Sweden for further studies, work or other reasons, you should notify the Swedish Tax Agency of your return, and provide the personal identification number that you received the first time you entered the Swedish population register.

More information can be found on the Swedish Tax Agency's website.