What to do if you fall ill during your studies


If you fall ill you should call 1177 for medical advice. This service is free of charge, and by calling this number you will speak with a qualified nurse who can instruct you on where to turn for treatment. This number can be called 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Advice will be offered in either Swedish or English.

Note! If you are calling from a foreign phone number dial +46 771 11 77 00.

In cases of extended illness, please inform your department and speak to a study and
career counsellor about how to make up for the time you have missed.

Online healthcare advice

At www.1177.se you can find advice, information, inspiration and eServices relating to your health and healthcare.


112 is the emergency phone number in Sweden. By calling this number you can contact the police, ambulance service or fire department.

Sexual health

Through the project "Kondoma mera", the Uppsala Student Union aims to provide students with information regarding sexual health and practising safe sex. You can find them at many campus events or by visiting their website: www.kondomamera.se.

National support services

Kvinnofridslinjen is a national helpline for women who have been subjected to threats and violence. Relatives and friends are also welcome to call them. The line is open around the clock, your call is free of charge and will not appear on the telephone bill.
Tel: 020 50 50 50

Hjälplinjen offers free and confidential psychological support to people in suicide crisis or acute emotional distress. If you are struggling with suicidal thoughts and feelings, we encourage you to call Hjälplinjen, who are open seven days a week between 1 and 10pm.
Tel: 0771 22 00 60

Student Health Service

Life as a student can be stressful and challenging at times, especially if you are far away from home. At Uppsala University, we think that is it important that our students get the support they need and if you are finding student life tough at any point in your studies, there is always somebody to turn to. If you are struggling with your studies or facing any study related health issues, we advise you to someone about it early on. Please note that in Sweden it is not stigmatising to ask for help.

If at any point during your time in Uppsala find that life is tough, you can turn to the Student Health Service. There you can meet counsellors, therapists, psychologists, a nurse and doctor. The Student Health Service also offers workshops on issues such as how to handle stress as a student. For more information visit www.uu.se/studenthealth.

The Student Health Service is not a hospital, emergency ward or medical clinic. However, since the Swedish health care system can be tricky to navigate, international students are welcome to turn to them for guidance on where to find treatment.
Visiting address: Övre Slottsgatan 7, 2nd floor
Tel: 018 471 69 00